The Sunny Side of it

Wednesday 1 June 2016

Awesome things about turning 29





So in three days time I’ll be kissing goodbye to the second to last year of my twenties, and you know what… I’m actually excited about it. I definitely feel that all my years leading up to this have prepared me for my penultimate year of my twenties. But don’t get me wrong, the pressures of thinking I would be married with kids, living in a million dollar home, travelled the world twice over, running a successful business and all the rest are still hanging over my head, especially when I read my journal dated back to 2005 where I’ve described my desired 29 year old self which is so far off where I am today. However, the beauty of turning 29 is kissing youthful ideologies away and really understanding what brings happiness, true happiness. And ultimately for me it’s family, love and health. So without any further ado, here are the things that I feel are awesome about turning 29….

 

No f**ks given

I no longer have time for timewasters (obviously), pointless friendships, unhappy working environments and a whole lot more. I am at a point where I feel so secure in myself that if something makes me unhappy, I have the guts to walk away. And I can walk with my head held high knowing I made the right decision for me.

 

Bullshit radar

From the little white lies to the ostentatious fake Instagram posts, my bullshit radar is now so accurate it actually scares me.

 

Snapchat? What’s that?

I’ve completely lost the need to join every social media just to keep up with the Jones’. Drop me out.

 

Being down with the kids

Definitely feel like I’m in a special phase in my life where I can hang out at a theme park with my younger people “claiming I’m still in my twenties” AND also hold down a serious conversation with my elders (and be taken seriously!).  

 

But maybe not with the cool kids... 

I might be down with the kids, but I’m actually not one of the cool kids. I realised I never have been and that’s ok. It’s great in fact!

 

FOMO (Fear of Missing Out)

I no longer strain myself by hitting seven events in a day or attend an activity I am not interested in just to make sure I haven’t let anyone down or am not missing out on the fun. I am more than happy to just to chill on my sofa watching Wendy Williams and catching my zzz’s at 10pm, ESPECIALLY if I have church in the morning. Such a liberating feeling.

 

Flying Solo

I went on my first solo trip to Madrid last year, and boy was it an experience. Just being able to be in my own thoughts, reading a good book and just doing what I want to do and in my own time was such refreshing experience and would highly recommend it. It’s something I certainly want to do more of.

 

My comfort is my everything

I’ve realised that my sleeping space is so so so precious to me, and I’m willing to pay the price to make sure its right. So investing in an extra few pounds to get a higher star hotel or taking a cab home in the early hours rather than crashing on a mates couch is how I’m living.

 

Self confidence is at an all time high

Growing up I always had the odd insecurity, whether it was my looks, my achievements, my ability or even my relationships. Now I feel more comfortable in my own skin and it content with knowing that I may not always know where I’m going, but I know where I want to be.

 

Expensive necessities

Splurging on overpriced face wash, leather gloves and organic fruit! Things I would have never cared about in my early twenties have just become so much more important now. Did I tell you how much I love Jo Malone bath oil?

 

No offence taken

Taking things a lot less personally is definitely a benefit of turning 29. I know I say some random crap at times so I let a few things slide here and there.

 

Improved relationship with parents

Finally I am mature enough to really understand my parents and am more open to learning from their experiences. I feel like I can speak to them about all aspects of my life now and can also offer my support and advice to them, something that may not have always been welcomed before. Being the youngest has its challenges.

 

Finances on fleek

Feeling like the relentless saving, working round the clock to climb up the corporate ladder and missing out on fun girlie trips or festivals were worth it. Now I feel like I’m in a position where I feel content with my finances and I’m super proud.

 

People pleasing

I no longer have a desire for everyone to like me or love me. I am content with the fact that not everyone is going to gel with my personality and no longer feel the need to mould myself to fit in with what others deem acceptable.

 

Being older and wiser

Learning from experiences in my twenties will save me a whole lot of time and effort. Just knowing I’ll never go back and repeat past mistakes.

 

Knowing myself

I am no longer struggling to ‘find myself’ as I was back in my early twenties, I have now discovered what I like, dislike, will tolerate and will snap at. We all have different strengths and weaknesses, and now I am on the brink of turning 29, I have a much better understanding of what my own best and worst are.

 

 


 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Sunny Side of it . All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig