The Sunny Side of it

Thursday 19 May 2016

The high heels at work policy was probably put in place by an old perv






I absolutely love this humorous but impactful video put together by Stylist which shows what happened when men were challenged to wear heels for the whole working day. You see, it's not easy boys!

The video has been released on the back of a petition started by receptionist Nicola Thorpe who was sent home without pay for refusing to wearing heels at accountancy firm PWC. As a heel lover myself, I definitely think they make women looks smarter, polished and professional, BUT if wearing heels is not 100% required for the job to be done effectively it should never be a prerequisite for working. And it certainly doesn't make anyone do their job better either, unless they're contracted to strut down a Victoria Secrets runway.


However, I do think the Nicola was super ballsy to arrive as a receptionist at a corporate firm such as PWC expecting to walk around in flats. But should she have a right to wear flats? Yes. But did she go there knowing the dress code included heels? Yes. So it makes me think she went there with an agenda and I'm 100% behind it.

Heels make me feel powerful and confident, but as much as I love wearing heels, its totally my choice. And there is power in making that choice.  When I walk around the office in a pair of 4 inch stilettos that could potentially injure my ankles and give me a bunion that I'll have to shave down in my golden years, it is MY decision.  So being told heels is part of a dress code policy, even though it may cause pain and discomfort, is totally unfair and discriminative. 

Lets be real, high heels are designed to sexualise women and make us more attractive to both sexesThey lengthen our legs, change the way we walk, frame our  shapes and give us just a sexy aura. So if wearing heels is a policy at work, I think its straight up sexist and is probably a policy put in place by an old ass pervert in the 50s when women at work were more than likely seen as sexual objects. Point blank period.  

 

Women don't need to be sexy in order to be competent and professional and I cannot wait for this outdated policy to be scrapped. I've signed my petition and felt damn good about it!

WINIGERThere are loads of smart looking footwear which not only will make women look professional but feel comfortable for the whole day. 

So in the spirit of comfy shoes, I've put together a list of cute professional flats which are on my summer hitlist. Have a gander!

ALDO £19.95




ASOS £18


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Sunny Side of it . All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig