The Sunny Side of it

Saturday 15 October 2016

My traditional Ghanaian wedding!

I kn
I know I've been gone for a while, but life just got ahead of me. Really good things have happened, I've changed my role at work, moved in with my fiancé' and had my Ghanaian traditional wedding!

I wanted to share with you some aspects of my cultural wedding as each culture has their own unique way of uniting love birds.

In the Ghanaian culture, bringing the two families together is fundamental to the marital process. So in order for the groom to marry his bride, he is required to visit the brides family and bring along drinks and in some cases money, as a gesture. This is called the Knocking.

If the brides family accept the grooms proposal, the brides family then present the grooms family with a list which he is to bring with him to the traditional marriage as a dowry. This list is subject to the brides family and usually includes money, traditional cloth, items for the home, jewellery amongst other items.

The brides family then host the grooms family on the day of the traditional marriage. They will organise the food, drink and entertainment for the day. Each family will bring a representative who will marry the couple and afterwards, in true Ghanaian style, there is a party with food, drink and lively music in celebration of the new couple.

I went all out for my traditional and really wanted to make a big impression, and from the comments of friends and family I did a good job. My fiancé' and I wore traditional Ghanaian material called Kente and styled ourselves like Ghanaian royalty. We saw this as a day where we could really represent our culture in a big way. Here are a few pics of my big day!


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Sunny Side of it . All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig